Since childhood I've wanted desperately to learn how to duplicate her creation. Only recently I found a recipe that I have come to believe may be the closest representation to her own cake as I can imagine. I've not had a chance to make it yet since I don't have an electric mixer, but it is quickly working its way up on my "to do" list. It has been on that list for many years, but so close to number one on the list is a new development that began with the discovery of this particular recipe. Though I had originally thought it to be impossibly difficult, it turns out to be as easy as, well, CAKE!
Pineapple Upside Down Cake
- Prep time - 20 minutes
- Bake time - 30 minutes
- Cool time - 35 minutes
- Makes approximately 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350º Farenheit (177º Celcius according to calculations)
2 tablespoons of butter
1/3 cup packed brwn sugar
1 tablespoon water
1 8-oz can pineapple slices, drained and halved
4 maraschino cherries, halved
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (regular flour in the UK)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2/3 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º Farenheit (177º Celcius). Place the two tablespoons of butter in a 9 x 1 1/2 inch round cake pan. Place pan in oven until butter melts. Stir in brown sugar and water. Arrange pineapple and cherries in the pan (cherries should be in the center of the pineapple ring holes), set asside.
- In a medium mixzing bow stir together flour, granulated sugar and baking powder. Add milk, 1/4 cup softened butter, the egg and vanilla. Beat with an electric mizer on low speed until combined. Beat on medium speed for 1 minute. Spoon batter CAREFULLY into the pan so you don't cause the pineapple pieces to slide across the bottom or shift out of place.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cook the cake in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Loosen the sides of the cake with a knife. Place a plate face down on the top of the cake (making sure the plate is bigger than the cake) and turn the cake pan and plate over, inverting the cake onto the plate.
- Cool the cake for 30 minutes and serve warm - great with a small scoop of ice cream for an after dinner dessert or by itself with coffe. ENJOY!!