All content copyright 2014 Woodpecker Tales LLC. All Rights Reserved.

Grand Escape Part 10


Subject : Out, at long last.
Posted Date: : Apr 13, 2006 8:34 AM

Well, here it is. All of the gory details. This is not to be read by those who wish to see me in a shining light through all of this. I've done something terrible, but in my own eyes, I was left with no other options.

As you all read yesterday, the Enforcer changed the locks on the doors. He them proceded to tell me that unless I dropped my insurance reimbursement check for $714.21 into his lap, I couldn't get my things, such as my clothes and tooth brush, and that in no way would I be given a key to the appartment again. I had to think of something, and fast! I needed every penny I had for the deposit on my appartment. I cried on a friends shoulder from what felt like about 800 miles away, and within only a few hours, I had enough for my deposit even after giving up the reimbursement check. Thank you to my dear friend. It WILL be repaid.

Thanks to my friend, I then had the courage to write the email to the Warden that you saw on the UPDATE under the letter he wrote to me. My friend gave me the courage to take action, and the peace of mind to know that all would be ok.

After dropping off my deposit yesterday, I raced back to my office to call The Warden. Upon doing so, I convinced him to allow me to come by so we could "talk" about that promissory note. I drafted one, took a photo copy of the insurance check, and faxed both over to him earlier that day. It made him willing to talk.

We argued, fought, screamed, cried, and yelled for about an hour before I finally confessed to him that I'd not eaten anything other than one meal of Canelloni since Sunday afternoon. Me being me, I talked him into going out for some food. I even offered to pay... The man makes $150 an hour, and he's worried about me paying him back all at once? What an ass. So anyway, we went out for some food and to talk a bit more. The whole time I was concocting something in my brain... Let me explain...

By the time we were done eating, he asked me what I wanted to do from there. I told him I wanted to take one day at a time. He said he wasn't much interested in Limbo, and I agreed. Neither was I. We left it at that. We went back to the appartment, and I pretended to fall asleep on the couch mere moments after sitting down. I mean, I was completely exhausted, so it wasn't that hard to believe. Had I not been so convincing so quickly, there's a good chance I could have fallen asleep!

He told me to go into the bedroom and lay down - he wasn't going to turn me out into the streets when I was so weak from not eating for so long. I looked as white as a ghost! (It's amazing what a little makeup can do...) He made sure to let me know he would be in within the hour, he was going to the other room to finish up some work. The "other room" he meant was the office, which is right next to the bedroom. It shares a wall, and that wall has an old fashioned heater in it. The flaps in the heater are turned at an angle to where he could see into the bedroom if I left the light on, so immediately I turned it off and allowed my eyes to adjust to the dark.

I knew it wouldn't be long, and sure enough I was right. He fell asleep sitting up in the chair. I jumped into action. I grabbed my computer, sent a friend of mine a quick message letting them know what was going on and to not worry about me. Then I creaked the back door open through great risk, since he would have been able to see the back door through the heater too. The street lights outside were extremely bright last night...

The first thing I put out there was a box of my undergarments, followed by a hand full of things on hangers that I had already organized in order of importance. Then the stuffed animals that I have had since I was a baby, including my Wendy pony (so dont panic, Brian...). Then jeans, folded shirts, shoes, legal papers on my divorce, and jewelry. Everything I could get my hands on and I felt was important. I then put my bathrobe on over my clothes and creaked out of the bedroom door towards the bathroom. If he had woken up, there's a good chance I would have been able to cover and make him believe I was only needing to pee. The door to the office was wide open, and he was still slouched over in the chair snooring. That was the first time I ever thought of snoring as a comforting sound. Unfortunately the office door is so loud I dared not close it because of the noise being about impossible to sleep through, even for him.

I shoved my makeup in the robe pockets, followed by a tooth brush, toothpaste, a razor, and deodorant. Then I crept back to the bedroom, but not after grabbing my own art off of the walls first. My hour was almost up. He said he would be back in the bedroom within the hour, and normally he only naps for about 30 minutes at a time. Slighly panicked, I threw my robe out with the rest of my things and silently closed the door. He stirred. My heart raced and I stood frozen in my place.

He began to snore again, and I jumped back into action. I knew that if I was going to make a break for it, this would be the time. I went back to the bedroom door and started to open it. I needed to get my jacket from the living room. The door to the bedroom popped open and he woke up. Once more I froze, only this time there was no going back to sleep.

I pinned myself up against the wall as he walked past the bedroom door toward the kitchen, me staring at the back of his head as he went, praying he wouldn't notice the missing art. He turned the corner to the kitchen and I darted over to the bed again. At that point I thought I would have to wait until morning to get my stuff, which meant I ran the risk of being late to work. I'm rarely ever late. To anything.

It was about 15 seconds after I pulled the covers up to my chin when he walked in. He laid down on the bed, tried to rub my back to see if I was asleep, and again I stirred not. My heart thumped loudly in my ears. Eventually he rolled over and was silent. I knew he was waiting to see if I was asleep.

As tired and exhausted as I was, I sat there for a long time waiting to hear him fall back to sleep. When finally I was convinced that the snores were real, I crept out of the waterbed, being sure not to move more surface of the bed than was necissary. Ever so slowly; steady...

My feet hit the carpet and I snatched up my laptop computer. Next thing to grab was my purse. Then I made a dash for the door, moving as efortlessly and silently as an eagle in flight. Being sure to block the light from the livingroom with my own body, I cracked the door open. I kept my body in line, edged through the door, and closed it behind me, always making sure the light from the lamp in the front room did not wake him.

I turned on the light to the bathroom on my way past and closed the door - my decoy. If he woke up in the night, he'd think I had just had to pee. Since I drink so much water, it's not uncommon for me to do so in the middle of the night... pardon the graphic details.

I grabbed up my jacket from the living room, slipped into my shoes, and walked right out the front door unnoticed. It was about 12:45 at night by this point.

I trotted to my car to unlock it and put my computer and purse inside. I tucked them both safely behind the seat of my car. Then my heart began to pound again. I could see the light in the bathroom still on, so I knew he hadn't discovered I was gone yet. I went for the back door, listening through the cracked open window to see if he was still snoring. Then I loaded up my arms with my first load and walked quietly back to my car. The first load was in. I went back for more, again pausing to see if he was still sleeping. Again, I loaded up my arms. It took me about 8 trips in total to get everything to my car, but at the end of it all, I had everything with me, the bathroom light was still on, and he was still sleeping.

I drove away listening to the song "Shut Up and Drive."

I didn't get everything, but when in that situation, one grabs what they need, not what they want. I feel terrible for what I did. Nobody deserves to be treated that way. Still, He was going to leave me on the street after last night. I know it. He told me that I would ahve a roof over my head for that night. After that I had no guarantees! He wanted all my money - to leave me penniless so I couldn't afford anything. He wanted to FORCE me to find someone to mooch off of!


So I did what I had to.

I owe him no appology. Nobody deserves to be treated that way, sure. I feel bad for it. But there's also seeing things from my end...
NOBODY should ever have to feel like their only escape is in the middle of the night and to sleep on the floor of their office.

I owe him nothing but his precious money he wanted so badly. Every penny will be repaid in time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will need to be moderated before posted, thank you.