Friday, March 18, 2011

Chasing the Dream

In the year 2006 when Robert and I reconnected, in many ways it was as if we had never lost contact in the first place. We chatted on Skype often, but again I had trouble understanding him occasionally. Our longest conversation took place in my little tiny room there in Gardena CA over our computers. With an 8 hour time difference, a 7 hour conversation seems nearly impossible. Neither of us got much sleep. He stayed up until 6am talking to me one weekend, which was only 10pm my time.

I was having a hard time making ends meet at that point in time. I had a good job, but California is expensive to live in. While cutting out all luxury items like cable tv and new clothes, I still struggled to buy food items. I lost a lot of weight and once more found myself down to my modeling weight - a number I hadn't seen in nearly two years.

We talked nearly daily with weekend conversations spanning several hours. Gardena hasn't been a great part of town in a long time - one night while we were talking he could over hear a shooting going on in the apartments not far away. Police sirens responded within a short time and he was genuinely afraid for me. It wasn't easy sleeping that night.

We talked about his family and his daughter, then six years old. I had seen photos of her when she was only four and marveled at how much she had grown up. She was a beautiful young lady even at six. I wanted more than anything to watch her grow up, and not through photos. Still, I didn't see any possible way of that happening.

Robert mentioned that he would like to come visit me in California. At first I was all for the idea. Even from 6,000 miles away I knew he was a wonderful person - the likes of which I'd never find anywhere else on the planet. He was completely understanding and forgiving of what I had done, and when I needed it most he was there for me. He was everything I ever needed and wanted... but he was 6,000 miles away in another country.

I was embarassed by how and where I was living and I didn't have any vacation time at work. Gardena got very hot in the summer, over triple didgits usually, and I didn't have an air conditioner. At the time, I didn't even have a bed - just a pile of blankets on a carpeted floor. I couldn't bare for him to see the squalor in which I lived, in the area of town I called home then. I wanted desperately to move and to get a nicer place, so after more than a year off, I went back to modeling. Unfortunately it didn't supliment my income enough to make any real changes - except being able to afford food.

While out driving my convertible one day enjoying the nice weather, a complete stranger suddenly swooped into my life and once more I was carried away. I never stopped thinking about Robert, but I stopped talking to him. I really couldn't imagine any kind of an outcome to what we were going through the middle of - a 6,000 mile long distance romance. What possibility was there? California was my home. Scotland was his. Neither of us could imagine leaving our homes. We had been at an impass.

I ended up loosing contact with him for another several years - this time for even longer.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will need to be moderated before posted, thank you.

Family Monsters

Familial Trafficking survivors are trafficked within their own homes and communities by those who should be there to care, love, and protect...