Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Applying for CHP

Subject : Applying for the CHP
Posted Date: : Sep 20, 2006 10:59 AM

The next few months are going to be quite challenging for me. I know I'll make it through this because I'm so determined to do so, but I'm going to push myself to the very extent of my physical capabilities. I believe I can honestly say that the last time I ever 'worked out' had to be back when I was about 14 years old, running track, and even then was only for a few months. I finally dropped out because I didn't have the time to devote to the exercise. My grades were suffering. Before that, I was forced to exercise in Jr. High. I understand that people wouldn't normally guess such a thing when looking at me since somehow I've managed to keep in decent physical shape, not counting the brief time I weighed more than 200lbs. Still, the fact remains that I'm grossly out of shape and I have a lot of work ahead of me.


A lot of people are going to wonder what's going on and why I'm working out so hard, but a few others will already know. It's not exactly full public knowledge yet, but I've decided I am going to apply to become CHP (California Highway Patrol) and my goal is to make it to training by April of next year. That means I have to go through an extensive background check, lots of physical training, and a battery of tests that I may not be fully prepared for as of right now. I have to condition not only my body, but my mind as well. Unfortunately they've taken out the 40 minute Essay portion of the testing, which is where I feel I would have excelled.


I started a training program yesterday. The CHP designed this program in order to send out to want-to-be Cadets with their applications. I woke up at 6:00 a.m., stretched for 10 minutes, ran for a mile, then came back and went through a battery of exercised from sit-ups to push-ups to squats. My calf muscles feel it more than anything, but for the first time in ages, I can breathe! I mean, I can really BREATHE! My lungs are opened up, and I'm a ball of energy today. It's a good feeling.


If I had the money I would join a gym. I've researched and found one not far from my home that only charges $25 a month with a $100 deposit, but for right now I cant do anything of the sort. I have too many bills. It would be nice, but until then I'll just run my own gauntlet and pray it gets the job done.

I'm not going to give up on this. If it takes me a year, I will do everything I need to in order to be accepted into the CHP boot camp. I buckled at the thought of the military, strictly because I detested the idea of moving around anymore, not because of the physical, mental, or emotional demands. In the back of my mind, I've always known I wanted to do this. I have a chance here to do something adventurous; something I've wanted to do for a long time, since shooting that gong at 250 yards with the AR-15. I'm going to take it. I'm going to make the best of my life, and I'm going to serve the state that I love while doing so.

I haven't told my family yet, and partly that's because I want to surprise them; make them proud of me. I think they will at least be surprised.


Wish me luck. I'm going to send out my application right now.


I'm on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will need to be moderated before posted, thank you.

Family Monsters

Familial Trafficking survivors are trafficked within their own homes and communities by those who should be there to care, love, and protect...