Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Happy Medium

Subject : A Happy Medium
Posted Date: : Jan 29, 2007 2:48 AM



There comes a time in everyone's life when we finally stand up and say "no more." I've reached that point.

As a kid, I was pushed around, stepped upon, and passed over too many times. I was shy and didn't stand up for myself, so people took advantage of me. I was pushed to the back of the line in everything. I was given the brunt of the work when working on group projects. I was teased mercilessly on the playground. I was shoved to the last desk in the back of the room – the one no other kid wanted because the last kid who sat there stank, smeared his nose- excrements on the underside of the desk, or had plastered the bottom of the desk with chewed gum.

When I hit my teen years, I finally blew up and became so angry at the world that I fought against anything and everything that threatened to hold me back from my desires in any way. This action caused a lot of animosity in my family that we have only recently gotten past. I was a run-away. I started fights in school – when I actually bothered to go. I was hell bent at doing it MY way and furious with the world when I wasn't allowed to do so.

Finally, about 6 1/2 years ago I died. Yes, I died during a surgery. That put things into perspective for me, but it took even a couple of years after that for me to calm my anger with the world.

I think I have a happy medium now.

When I'm upset with someone, I tell them so. I don't write them off completely as I would have 5 years ago. I don't plot revenge against them as I would have in my teen years. I don't even roll over and let them do it to me again as I would have in the formative years.

It's truly unfortunate, however – often when I try to let someone know how wounded I've been, I'm told that I'm crossing a border, I'm overreacting, or that I'm simply being silly or "talking rubbish" about the whole thing.

If they want to see silly, they should have seen me before I reached this point in my life. They should have seen me when I was obsessed with the book "Count of Monte Cristo" and the many ways in which to plot revenge, though it may take a lifetime to achieve.

I don't hold grudges.
I don't pass judgements.
I don't dismiss people that easily –
But I also don't let myself be taken advantage of any longer.

I'm happy with who I am and how I react to certain situations – calm, cool and collected. If those around me cant understand that or understand ME when I try to express myself, it's their loss.

I WILL NOT BE BURNED.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments will need to be moderated before posted, thank you.

Family Monsters

Familial Trafficking survivors are trafficked within their own homes and communities by those who should be there to care, love, and protect...